Awhile back I wrote a post on how to pack like a minimalist. This time, I’m sharing with you the specific things I’m bringing on an extended trip to South America.
My boyfriend and I are heading out from the USA to Chile, Argentina, and Uruguay, for a 10 week adventure. We’re staying in Air Bnbs and hostels, mostly in large coastal towns, with one inland city thrown in half way through.
I plan on spending the majority of my time on the beach, but anticipate lots and lots of walking around the city and some hiking outside the city. We are going in summer so the temperatures will be in the 70s-90s during our stay. We will have access to laundry at some of our apartments. We are each checking one large hiking pack on the flights, and each bringing a daypack as our carry-ons.
Here’s what I’m bringing for 70 days:
- dresses x4
- short-sleeve tops x6 + long-sleeve top
- workout shorts + yoga leggings + workout top + sports bra
- lightweight nightgown + bra + pasties
- underwear x 20
- socks x9
- sunhat + swimsuits x3 + beach towel
- scarf (functions as headwrap for dreads + beach sarong)
- baseball cap
- sneakers + sandals
- Dailies contact lenses (30 pairs… monthlies would be better if I had any!)
- sunscreen (spf 50 sport + oil-free x2 for my face — and I’m sure we’ll buy more there)
- makeup bag (2 shades lipstain, under-eye concealer, eyelash curler, mascara, mineral foundation ( + small one in darker shade to mix in as I get more tan), mineral blush, foundation brush, blush brush, tweezers, nail file)
- face wash x2
- St. Ives exfoliating scrub
- natural deodorant + himalayan salt deodorant bar (both being natural, neither is perfect so I often wear both at the same time)
- toothbrush + toothpaste + floss
- bar of soap
- mineral bath (bit unnecessary but we might want to indulge after the long flights 😉 )
- bandaids (waterproof and regular)
- cell phone + charger
- laptop + charger + case
- headphones + headphone splitter
- Spotify playlists + podcasts/audio books downloaded
- outlet adapters
- passport + driver’s license (and photocopies)
- saved pdfs of hotel/flight confirmations (accessible without wifi)
- saved Google maps (accessible without wifi)
- credit card + debit card + cash
Odds and Ends
- herbal tea (Air Bnb’s often only have caffeinated teas stocked)
- cbd oil
- toilet paper
- handkerchiefs x2
- sunglasses + case ( + Rx sunglasses + case)
- crossbody handbag + daypack
And that’s it!
Update: If anyone’s curious, when I checked the hiking bag at the airport check-in, it weighed 17-20 lbs (differed a bit from airport to airport). Not bad! That was with everything listed above inside, minus the daypack which I had taken out to be my carry on, and inside the daypack I had my electronics, crossbody handbag, handkerchiefs, and some snacks we bought for the flight. The daypack weighed 6.5lbs.
Did I forget anything? Let me know if I missed one of your must-haves in the comments!